Friday, January 8, 2010

Dress shopping

Well, faithful readers, no luck on the first try. I think I set my expectations too high. I kept hearing how once you find the dress you just KNOW and, maybe because I didn't find it, I didn't have that feeling. I tried on lots of types of dresses: fit & flare, a line, lace, silk taffeta, buttons, corsets, the works. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice my figure looked in a fit & flare gown. There was one that I liked and put on twice, but it had buttons on the back and a little too much rhinestone bling on the bust. The other that I really battled with was a couture gown. I'm not a super formal bride (no tuxes, among many other things), and I don't want a really formal dress. This dress, was more formal than I expected: strapless, corset back, three separate layers of lace. I kept it on the longest because I was so torn. Choosing a dress got HARDER the longer I was there!

In the end, I didn't leave with a dress. Nothing absolutely blew my mind. The first time I saw myself in a dress I looked in the mirror and laughed! I couldn't believe that this was my life. I didn't feel "bridal" per se, nor did I feel "beautiful." I felt odd, like I was having an out of body experience; I've never, until I met FH, considered myself "the marrying kind." It's a lot to change your mind about when you feel certain, for many years, that marriage isn't something you would choose. I was hoping having the gowns on would change my mind, transform me in some way, and that didn't happen. Again, a circumstance of too-high expectations. In the end, I felt disappointed that I hadn't felt differently, worried the very helpful and amiable saleswoman felt I wasted her time, but relieved to learn more about wedding dress shopping. Definitely not what I expected, but my next appointment on the 18th is one I'm really looking forward to -- they have numerous designers, all of which I LOVE! Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Every girl has her most beautiful moment in the life just when you wear your own prom dresses in your wedding.You can visit our site wholesale wedding dresses.cheap wedding dresses have good quality. You can find ball gown wedding dresses,mother of the bride dresses,mermaid wedding dresses,strapless wedding dresses,plus size wedding dresses,beach wedding dresses,bridesmaid dresses,cocktail dresses,evening dressesyour dream. Get your wedding dresses in our wedding dress shop. There are some information on prom dress in our wedding dresses blog such as wedding gown shops,WholesaleWeddingDresses.ca Blog,Casual Wedding Gowns,Designer Bridal Dresses Blog,Party Formal Dresses Blog,Good Evening Dresses Blog,Bridal Dresses Blog,Wedding Dresses Styles Blog. Finally,I hope you have a happy wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. I'm happy to read it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete