Monday, July 6, 2009

It started with the stairs...

Adrian and I have been dating for almost a year and a half. We've been talking about getting married for about fourteen of the eighteen months!

I don't even know where to start... to talk about how happy we've been together, about how everyone who meets Adrian pulls me aside to tell me how wonderful he is, how I can't wait to be his wife -- all of it. So I'll start with the proposal story, which is what everyone wants to hear.

I was very clear that I wanted to be totally surprised by Adrian's proposal, and I absolutely was. Anyone who knows Adrian knows that he's a pretty talkative guy, and he's very sweet so I knew it would be hard for him to keep a secret. I also knew my oblivion would be a huge help in the "surprise" department!

Adrian asked me to go to dinner with his brother Todd and his girlfriend, Deb on Sunday evening. We had been mentioning going to dinner with them for over a year and so I didn't think anything of it when we finally got it on the calendar. I spent Saturday night/Sunday morning at the Huber's cabin on the Susquehanna. Sunday morning we woke up late, had a great breakfast, and I thought we'd spend most of the afternoon. Everyone kept asking me what I was doing that day, and I said I was just going to work on my typing for my second job. Adrian's brother Brian decided earlier than I expected that it was time to go. So we headed back to the main land and I took Adrian home. I laid on the couch and was just watching TV when Adrian suggested that I should probably go home and get started on my work so that we could hang out later that night. I admit I was pretty miffed at the idea of not being able to spend the day with him, so I struck a deal. I said if he cleaned his room, I'd go home to do my work. The deal was struck and I went on my way.

Dinner was at 4:00 and Adrian called at 3:45 to say they were already at the restaurant. I, as usual, was running late and it was only protracted by the fact that I got cornered by one of my lonely neighbors on my way to my car! I got to the restaurant about 5 minutes late. We had a great dinner, and then Adrian suggested we go down to MusicFest along the river. We walked the entire length of it, then we stopped at my office and headed back down to MusicFest. Deb suggested getting ice cream which I thought was a great idea (of course)! Little did I know, Adrian was watching me in line and was mad that I got a cone because he couldn't take it out of my hand or put it on the ground to propose! Todd and Deb suggested we walk down along the river, so we found the steps that take you down to the river steps.

I didn't want to walk, so I took a seat on the steps of the river - they go right into the water. Todd and Deb said they were going to walk a bit down the river and take some pictures. Adrian and I just talked for a bit as I enjoyed my ice cream cone... may I add -- I am the slowest ice cream eater EVER!

This was when I got suspicious. I looked behind me and Todd and Deb were taking pictures of each other, but weren't walking. I reached and touched Adrian's leg pocket and felt something that felt like a ring box... or his cell phone. He swatted my hand away and I started to breathe really heavily because I thought it might be happening. Then, I looked back and Todd and Deb weren't moving. So I said, let's get going and catch up with Todd and Deb because I think they're waiting for us. I stood up to walk away (ice cream cone in hand), and Adrian grabbed my hips, turned me toward him, and got on one knee. I won't share everything he said, but he pulled out the ring and asked if I would marry him. I fell on my knees, hugged him, and said "absolutely!" Little did I know, Todd and Deb took pictures of it all!

I was so excited I couldn't stop shaking. I was heading back to Adrian's house to do some work and made phone calls the entire way back to his house. When we pulled onto his street I saw a ton of cars I recognized... He had invited his family and mine over to his house to celebrate! That was the best way to end the night. I got to see his family, my family, share the stories, take pictures, and have a great time. I promise I'll post pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment