Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Returning from Vacation

I was finally able to take a week off, hallelujah! Many of you know that I work in a two person office. My boss was out on maternity leave for 15 weeks, so I was here as the lone staffer and it was a very busy summer. I was able to take last week off to relax, regroup, and spend time with FH (Future Husband). I was hoping to get some wedding things accomplished, but things didn't turn out how I expected.

We have a reception location picked out that we LOVE and can't wait to officially book. I don't feel comfortable making a reception site official without a church. Both FH and I are born, raised, practicing Christians -- him Catholic, me Lutheran. It is a must-have for us to be married in a church, so that part is easy. Finding said church? Not so easy.

To start, we contacted the church we've been attending and are planning to join. It seats 150 normally, 200 is REALLY pushing it. We are inviting 250 guests, so that's out. On top of that, the Saturday evening service is at 5:00 PM, and we'd have to be out of the space by 3:30 in order to clean, etc. I wanted the wedding to START at 3:30. Option one - out.

Five other churches I called married members only.

One church I attended, was beautiful, but wasn't moved. I wasn't able to contact the minister.

One church had an interim pastor and couldn't commit to the date next year.

One church had a Saturday service that didn't interfere, parking, would marry non-members, and the minister and FH knew each other personally. We attended services there, but I felt like I wanted to leave before we even got to the first scripture reading! Not sure why, but I didn't feel at home there. Much less, I didn't feel like I could see myself getting married there.

Losing count? We're at 9.

FH and I visited our friend's church in a nearby town with her father as tour guide. Definitely plenty of parking, no Saturday service, would marry us as nonmembers. The sanctuary was very plain, and it wasn't a Lutheran church. It was an option, but not my top choice.

We stopped on our way back to my apartment because we passed another beautiful Lutheran congregation. Members only. Church number 11.

When I got home, I was feeling pretty discouraged. FH made us breakfast, let me stew, even let me just lay on him and take a nap. Of course, I lamented on Facebook too. Within about an hour I had a reply from a woman who volunteered in my office last year while in Lutheran seminary. She and I had a few mutual friends through my Lutheran upbringing. She messaged me to suggest her church (she is junior pastor, but also on her way out on maternity leave until mid-October) -- no Saturday service, will marry non-members, can bring our own minister, etc. etc. I was cautiously optimistic and requested a photo of the sanctuary. GORGEOUS! FH and I attended Sunday services this past Sunday (we say we're on tour) and it was perfect, beautiful, the service was touching and meaningful, and I felt completely comfortable there. It was unexpected, but I think we have a church! We introduced ourselves to the senior pastor after the service and he was fantastic. I reached out to him yesterday and am waiting for a response.

I think that once we can meet with him we can finalize everything... now the problem? We're unsure of the Notre Dame bye week next year! ::Sigh::

Either way, I am feeling hopeful again and can't wait to make the date official!

No comments:

Post a Comment